October 24: March on Wall Street
Posted by terres on October 18, 2008
OCTOBER 24-27: BAIL OUT THE PEOPLE, NOT THE BANKERS!
Friday, October 24 – 3-6:30 pm
Federal Hall – 26 Wall Street
Nationally Coordinated, Local Mass Actions
October 24 – 27
A CALL TO ACTION
The stock markets are crashing, the world economy is headed into a deep recession or even depression, and the U.S. government and its top bankers, along with their counterparts around the world, are giving what’s going to amount to trillions of dollars to bailout the richest 1 percent of the people WHILE DOING NOTHING TO RESCUE ORDINARY WORKING AND POOR PEOPLE!
We must stand up and say no to this injustice! NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT.
With that in mind, we are calling for Nationally Coordinated Local Days of Action on the weekend of October 24-27.
During October 24-27, organize marches and demonstrations in front of banks, especially JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Citibank, or at your local Federal Reserve Bank. Organize a teach-in or a public hearing on the Wall Street crisis, etc.
IT’S TIME FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO DECLARE AN ECONOMIC STATE OF EMERGENCY AND GIVE DIRECT HELP TO THE PEOPLE–NOT THE BANKS
The following are some of the growing list of emergency measures that people across the country will be raising at protests during the Days of Action:
- Emergency moratorium on home foreclosures and evictions
- No budget cuts in education, healthcare and all social services
- No layoffs, extend unemployment benefits
- No utility shut-offs
- Debt relief for students, poor and working people
- Protect public and private pensions
- Jobs at a living wage
We are asking for grassroots, community and youth organizations, trade unionists, anti-racist forces, the anti-war movement and everyone who’s just mad as hell about the “bailout” to both endorse this call, and take ownership of it. Plan actions during this period of time in your cities across the country.
Partial List of Initiators:
- Ad-hoc National Network to Stop Foreclosures and Evictions
- Moratorium Now Coalition To Stop Foreclosures and Evictions (Michigan)
- Labor/Community Coalition to Stop Foreclosures and Evictions (California)
- Service Employees International Union, Local 721
- Latino Caucus, SEIU Local 721
- Gloria Saucedo, Hermandad Mexicana Nacional
- BAYAN USA
- NYC Councilmember Charles Barron
- The Harlem Tenants Council
- NY May 1 Coalition For Immigrant and Workers Rights
- Chris Silvera, Secretary Treasurer, Teamster Local 808
- Brenda Stokely, New York Solidarity Coalition with Katrina/Rita Survivors
- La Peña Del Bronz
- Trabahadores Por La Paz
- Rebel Diaz
- Queers for Peace and Justice
- Women’s Fight back Network (Massachusetts)
- Frantz Mendes, President, USW local 8751 (Boston School Bus Union)
- Action Center for Justice (North Carolina)
- FIST (Fight Imperialism, Stand Together)
- Troops Out Now Coalition
…and hundreds more
This entry was posted on October 18, 2008 at 8:55 am and is filed under budget cuts, Debt relief, education, healthcare, social services. Tagged: CALL TO ACTION, evictions, foreclosures, March on Wall Street, state of emergency. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.