The Tale of Two Policemen
Posted by terres on October 3, 2008
submitted by a reader
One, a hero with a conscience who felt responsible for a lapse in judgment; the other a racist heavy in uniform, who had to be booted out of office!
Lt. Michael W. Pigott: A “Hero”
Lt. Michael W. Pigott, 46, a 21-year veteran of the NYPD, who had won 20 police medals over the course of his career, committed suicide Thursday, NYPD officials said.
Lt. Pigott gave the order to fire a Taser stun gun at an emotionally disturbed man who then fell to his death in Brooklyn on September 24.
Inman Morales, right, fell to his death after being stunned by police with a Taser gun while he was standing on the ledge of a building. Source: Mail online. Image may be subject to copyright.
“The lieutenant was deeply distraught and extremely remorseful over the death of Iman Morales in Brooklyn last week,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said at a press conference. “Sadly, his death just compounds the tragedy of the loss of Mr. Morales.”
Lieutenant Pigott committed suicide on the morning of Mr. Morales’s funeral.
Sir Ian Blair, Britain’s top policeman: A Racist, ‘Nasty Piece of Work’ to the Very End
The mayor of London: “There comes a time in any organization when it becomes clear it would benefit from new leadership and clarity of purpose. I believe that time is now.”
Under the leadership of Sir Ian Blair, unnamed London Met Police officers shot and killed Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, on July 22, 2005. Menezes, a Brazilian national living in south London, was “mistaken” for a terrorist and was shot at least seven times in the head and once in the shoulder at close range, execution style, by at least two police executioners using hollow point bullets. A senior police source said that Menezes’ body had been “unrecognisable.”
Only after truth of the cold-blooded murder was leaked to the press did the London Metropolitan police executioners admit that they had made a “mistake!” The officers who killed Menezes have not been charged.
Murdered in cold blood by the UK Police : Jean Charles de Menezes. (Photo: Daily Mail, UK). Image may be subject to copyright.
Born to Kill: The Disgraced Sir Ian Blair. (Source: Daily Mail, UK). Image may be subject to copyright.
Perhaps Sir Ian Blair [related to Tony Blair?] could take a leaf from Lt. Pigott’s book and save those of his colleagues with a semblance of integrity the indignity and embarrassment by association!
- London police force faces racism inquiry [Link added October 6, 2008]
- Police gave no warning before killing him: Another Eye Witness [Link added November 3, 2008]
- Police ‘gave no warning’: Eye Witness
- Special Branch officer admitted changing evidence in the police murder of Jean Charles de Menezes
- A firearms officer has said he could have stopped Jean Charles de Menezes
- Jean Charles De Menezes inquest: pathologist ‘misinformed by police’ [Link added November 5, 2008]
- Quotes of the week: Britain, Nigeria, Egypt [Link added November 3, 2008]
- Jean Charles de Menezes Inquest [Link added November 20, 2008]